Klassik Stiftung Weimar
As early as 1919 – the year in which the Bauhaus was founded in Weimar – the then Director of the Weimar Art Collections, Wilhelm Köhler, started to form a collection of materials on European Modernism associated with the Bauhaus. In 1925, together with Walter Gropius, he selected 168 Bauhaus objects for the museum. They included design classics such as the famous table-lamp by Jucker/Wagenfeld, metal works by Marianne Brandt, numerous furniture-pieces by Marcel Breuer, ceramics by Wilhelm Bogler and Otto Lindig, and 38 works from the weaving workshop. Today, the collection has grown to hold around 11,000 exhibits, including the famous Bauhaus cradle by Peter Keler. The collection also includes paintings, prints, craft works and design objects, as well as study pieces from teaching work at the Bauhaus and documents on the Bauhaus years in Weimar, from 1919 to 1925. It is supplemented by a major collection on the creative work of Henry van de Velde and his School of Arts and Crafts and on the State School of Crafts and Architecture, headed by Otto Bartning, from 1926 to 1930.
Since 2010 the Bauhaus Collection of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar is expanded by the famous Ludewig design collection, for which the Berlin collector Manfred Ludewig acquired more than 2800 objects from all over Europe starting in the 1960s. His collection provides a unique overview of 200 years of design history and is thus able to set the Bauhaus in a larger cultural and design-history context, from the end of the eighteenth century onwards. The collection includes works from the Vienna Workshops, by the Dutch ‘De Stijl’ group, the furniture collections of the Thonet company, a group of products from the Braun company, and extensive collections on the work of individual designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld.
Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Weekends/Holidays, 9.30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
T +49 (0)3643 – 545-400
Through a special investment programme, the Federal Government and the Free State of Thuringia have commissioned the Klassik Stiftung Weimar to build a new museum in which the extensive Weimar collections will be exhibited starting at the end of 2018. The Bauhaus Museum, which has been provisionally housed on Theaterplatz in Weimar since 1995, will then move to a striking new building designed by Prof. Heike Hanada of Berlin in collaboration with Prof. Benedict Tonon. The new museum building on the historically important site near the Weimarhallenpark, immediately opposite the former Weimar ‘Gauforum’, will also be one of the most important nodes in the network of a ‘topography of modernism’ linking modernist historical and memorial sites in Weimar.
As one of the three institutions holding collections and as a member of the Bauhaus Kooperation Berlin Dessau Weimar, the Klassik Stiftung Weimar will be organizing two large exhibitions for the centenary and shares responsibility for the central milestones of the centenary programme. The office of the Bauhaus Association 2019 is also being set up in the facilities of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar and will be starting work from now on.