Lemke House, Berlin
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1933
[Translate to English:] Text
The L-shaped house has a special position in Mies van der Rohe’s oeuvre. This is the only courthouse-style building that Mies was able to realise in the 1930s. The design was greatly influenced by the financial and formal specifications of the client, Karl Lemke, who wished to use the house both as a private retreat and for representational purposes. Although the building was built as a solid construction, contrary to the open-plan structure that was otherwise typical of Mies, the architect was nevertheless able to implement his concept of “flowing space”. In Lemke House, he applied this to the relationship between the internal and external space: The terrace, which is located on the garden side and enclosed by the house, can be accessed from both wings through the opened windows of the study (which simultaneously serves as a hall) or the living room or dining room. The ground-level access allows the rooms to extend into the landscape.
- Noack, Wita (2008): Konzentrat der Moderne. Das Landhaus Lemke von Mies van der Rohe. Wohnhaus, Baudenkmal und Kunsthaus, München/Berlin.
More articles on this topic
The bauhaus100 newsletter will be circulated from time to time with news about the Bauhaus Centenary 2019.