[Translate to English:] Trinkhalle, Dessau
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1932
[Translate to English:] headline
The Trinkhalle (Drinking Hall) was built at the Sieben Säulen crossing in Dessau, directly at the Masters’ House settlement, in 1932. The white structure with the distinctive roof projected from the wall that bordered the Bauhaus masters’ residential sector to the east. The idea came from Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, but it was drawn by his student Eduard Ludwig. The kiosk served as a “refreshment hall” and probably just offered non-alcoholic beverages – there have been references to fruit and vegetable juices. Due to the world economic crisis, public building activity came to a standstill for the most part and the Drinking Hall remained the only structure built by Mies van der Rohe in Dessau as a result.
Even though the Drinking Hall initially survived the war without any damage, it was torn down around 1970 when the GDR required space for the new design of the streets. The return of the Drinking Hall to its original site has been planned within the scope of the urban repair of the Masters’ House settlement in which the Gropius and Moholy-Nagy houses will be reconstructed.
More articles on this topic
The bauhaus100 newsletter will be circulated from time to time with news about the Bauhaus Centenary 2019.