AEG Turbine Hall, Berlin
Peter Behrens, 1908–1909
[Translate to English:] Text
The Turbine Hall was designed by Peter Behrens for AEG in 1908/09. Its main façade is composed of a large-scale, supporting glazed surface flanked by Egyptianesque corner towers and a crowning, polygonal gable. The latter features the inscription “Turbine Factory” and the AEG signet, which was also designed by Behrens. Viewed as a unit, the glazed surface area and gable take on the shape of a hammer, while the façade as a whole, together with the lateral façade that achieves a sense of rhythm by alternating triple cantilever beams and windows, awakens associations with a Greek temple.
- Jaeggi, Annemarie (1998): Fagus. Industriekultur zwischen Werkbund und Bauhaus, Berlin.
- Bußmann, Klaus (1992): 1910 – Halbzeit der Moderne. Van de Velde, Behrens, Hoffmann und die Anderen, Stuttgart.
More articles on this topic
The bauhaus100 newsletter will be circulated from time to time with news about the Bauhaus Centenary 2019.