Practical exercise in the workshops was the linchpin of a Bauhaus education. Each workshop was run by a master of form and a master of works.
At the Bauhaus in Weimar the main activity of the workshops for stone and wood sculpture was to perform tasks for other workshops. In Dessau the two were merged into a single sculpture workshop.
Some of the items of furniture made in the joinery workshop at the Bauhaus now rank as design classics, contributing significantly to the prestige the Bauhaus still enjoys around the world.
From 1923 the former gold, silver and copper forge in Weimar evolved into a design laboratory. It was here that Marianne Brandt and Wilhelm Wagenfeld created the Bauhaus lamp WA24 and the tea infuser.
The Bauhaus pottery workshop started out in Dornburg on the River Saale. In 1923 a technology leap replaced the potter’s wheel with ceramic casting and prototypes were made for serial production.
The graphic printshop at the State Bauhaus in Weimar produced major portfolios of graphic works by Bauhaus masters. The portfolios were bound in the bookbinding workshop.
Josef Albers designed his well-known windows for Haus Sommerfeld and the Grassi Museum in Leipzig in the stained glass workshop. It closed in 1925 due to a lack of orders.
The stagecraft workshop was headed first by Lothar Schreyer and from 1923 by Oskar Schlemmer. Schlemmer introduced his students to modern dance and had a lasting impact on stage activities at the Bauhaus.
Versatile interdisciplinary experimentation with the medium of photography began early at the Bauhaus, but only in 1929 was a photography class established, led by photographer Walter Peterhans.
Printing and advertising workshop
The workshop for printing and advertising was set up at the Bauhaus in Dessau in 1925. In the early years it was headed by Herbert Bayer, and later by Joost Schmidt and Walter Peterhans.
Students in the wall painting workshop designed and implemented many murals, reliefs and colour schemes. The most successful product from the workshop was the Bauhaus wallpaper produced from 1930.